Sigma 50mm Macro Lens


posted by sooyup on , , ,

No comments


Awesome would be the easiest way to describe the new to me Sigma Macro 50mm F2.8 EX DG lens that I was able to snatch off eBay for a freaking fantastic price. I was able to get the lens for $150 (that also included a 55mm tiffen UV filter) while the MSRP is $400 and I've seen prices on eBay from $260 to $350. So yeah this was a great deal.

I've been asked why I went with this lens instead of Canon's budget nifty-fifty the Canon EF 50mm F1.8 lens that can be as inexpensive as $80 but tend to run at about $100 though on eBay. Well there are actually several reasons and the first is of course that the Sigma lens is actually specifically made for Digital SLR cameras while the nifty fifty is a Film and Digital lens. There is also the simple fact that the Sigma lens is an all metal construction compared to the plastic construction of the nifty fifty and while that may not be very important to some it's a longevity and quality issue that may arise in the future. The last feature that really sold me on the Sigma was it's Macro ability that gives you a 1:1 ratio of the objects that you are shooting, the Canon I believe has a 1:3 ratio. It doesn't hurt at all that the Sigma lens is also a very sharp lens and is easily comparable to the higher end Canon 50mm lens.

So what do I think about the lens? I actually haven't shot much with it. When I first got it I of course had to test it out to make sure the thing worked correctly and it did. It actually impressed me with what it could do while I was just taking random snaps around the house with it. I took the last weekly review picture with the lens actually and was really impressed with the quality but I haven't gone out and done any real work with it yet as I'm still feeling under the weather and awaiting my last couple items from eBay to show up before dragging out all the equipment to do a photoshot so hopefully cross your fingers it might be this weekend. I did upload most of the images that I shot to flickr so that you can check it out if you want to here.

Again I have to thank my housemate who made the purchase even possible, thanks a ton Scott.

Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...