Range Report


posted by sooyup on , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

No comments


Like I mentioned in the weekly report me and a couple of my friends went out shooting last Saturday for probably the last time this year as the weather is getting too nasty to go outside and shoot. Probably won't keep me from going to the indoor range during the winter though. Since it was the last time I wanted to take everything I had out there and take some pictures for the blog and just have a good time.

I took out the Maverick 88 (cheaper version of the Mossbreg 500) shotgun and this time the flashlight actually survived the outing and stayed attached to the shotgun. If you don't remember the last time I took out the shotgun I had another flashlight attached to the shotgun but after the second or so round the flashlight came flying off of the shotgun. I'm still not that great at shooting the shotgun but getting better. I don't like using the front bead sight and don't exactly know where I'm suposed to aim so might get either a ghost ring sight for it or go with another inexpensive red dot system. Of course that means more work but hey that just sounds like a winter time fun project.

Also along for this journey was the custom hand made 25-06 rifle that my grandpa made for me for the 18th birthday but I received it as a graduation gift. It's a beautiful rifle if I don't say so myself even if it does shoot a bit right of AOP. I took it along mostly because I really wanted to try out my own handloads that I did some time ago. I was shooting 90grain hollowpoints and I think they did pretty good for a first time reloading. I really need to pick up a small portable bench rest though as using the hood of the Subaru isn't all that great of an idea but it work for the day.

A trip out shooting isn't complete without the Ruger 10/22 and boy does it look small in pictures. Nothing really too new about this one as it's almost always coming along thanks to it being a .22 and thankfully still cheap and fun to shoot. The battery is still going strong (now that I remember to take it out of the scope) and the new Tactical Solutions magazine release lever is fantastic even if the fit is a bit off.

Last but not least are the two revolvers the Sig Sauer Mosquito is running much much better now that I know to keep it lubed up like a tight...well you know what I mean. Nothing really new there. New for the Model 15 though is the chance to actually use the speedloader and it was pretty handy and easy to use. I probably haven't mentioned this but I did apply red modelers paint to the top of the front sight and it helps immensely for aiming. Just a little trick I learned from reading and listening to Michael Bane's blog.

Oh yes what a fun afternoon of shooting it was a bit drizzly so didn't end up using the pro-camera even though I took it out there and instead used the handy Canon G6 for these pictures. My friend Nick's SKS only fired one out of 10 rounds and after a quick look at the primers it looked like the firing pin wasn't hitting as hard as it was supposed to so that will need to be looked at.

Because of the light showers though there was a little bit of mud out there and on the drive back we had a little fun off roading the Subaru Outback even though the mudflaps did a good job of keeping the mud off the car it was still fun. Probably one of few actually off roaded Outbacks though. But that was our day out shooting and you can check out the pictures at flickr

Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...