Farewell Opus....AGAIN


posted by sooyup

No comments


Looks like one of my favorite Sunday morning comics has become part of history once again. That's right Opus has left the building (Sunday funnies) yet again for greener pastures filled with dandelions and a comfy old couch.

My obsession with Opus started back in the 80's when the comic was called Bloom County and ran as a weekly strip in the newspaper. I got many laughs from the misadventures of the gang in Bloom County and was sad to see them go for the first time in 1989.

Only to see them return months later in the Sunday only version called Outland where I enjoyed the many misadventures of the gang once again. Outland lasted for 6 years before it to found it self disappearing from the newspaper. All though college I was left without a funny penguin and an amusing cat to make me laugh on Sunday mornings. I made up for the lack of Opus by looking for every published book and movie that featured the big nosed funny guy and more times than not turned up empty handed due to those horrid words..."out of print."

Then in 2003 the great Berkeley Breathed came out of retirement published another collection of Bloom County/Outland/Opus Sunday comics much to my delight and I found out that he was even returning with another Sunday only comic strip called simply OPUS. With a turn of the gang from Outland I was once again laughing about the misadventures of a large nosed penguin much to my own amusement I'm sure. I was just happy to see that lovable funny penguin back once again and enjoyed reading the Sunday comics again for the first time in a long time. Only it just recently came to an end again (Nov 2, 2008 was the last strip) and I'm left wondering if I'll ever see that penguin again. That's a lot of agains isn't it oh well, at least I can enjoy Opus when ever I want to now digitally here and if you've never read Opus and want a good laugh than I highly suggest checking it out.

Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...