Shooter Saturday -- FN P90


posted by sooyup on ,

No comments


The FN P90 is probably one of my favorite Personal Defense Weapon systems that are available at the moment. Unlike the Kriss Super V I have handled and fired the SBR Civilian model of the P90 and I liked it. I liked it a lot.

While the military select fire model of the P90 has been around since the 1990's the gun was only made available to civilians as a sporting model called the PS90 a few years ago. Sporting a 16 inch barrel and only a single fire mode for a couple thousand dollars anyone that was legally able to could pick one up. It wasn't long after that that companies started selling the shorter SBR barrel for those willing to undertake the riggers of getting a permit for one. The SBR Civilian model is the version that I fired at one of Impact Guns Open Houses where they brought a bunch of full auto weapons for customers to shoot and they also brought along a single PS90 with the short barrel and no one showing it the love but I saw it and just had to shoot it since I've been wanting to do so for a long time.

The P90/PS90 fires a proprietary 5.7x28mm round that packs little recoil but does some pretty decent damage for it's size. This also means the weapon is very easy to handle when firing and I managed to produce a pretty good grouping while rapid firing the weapon. One thing I didn't really like was the weapons original sighting tool it's not an open iron site but a small optical type that you really have to hunker down on to see it correctly and with big ol' ear muffs and shooting glasses I found it at first really hard to sight with the first couple times I fired it. Once I figured out how to do it though it was easy to blast away with. Another oddity of the gun is the magazine. It's a rotating style loading mechanism that rotates the cartridge 90 degrees and takes some getting used to and can be rather dificult at first to master but by the third magazine (I was using a 30 round magazine) I had it feeding pretty easily.

I liked the P90 before I shot it but after I did I was just in gun lust with it. It rocked and I wanted one but sadly at a good click around $1750 and $2200 depending on options it's not exactly easy for me to get one with my limited budget and then the whole "ZOMG Guns are going to be banned" period after the Presidential elections they were really hard to find anyways. So I haven't even thought of picking one up lately. I can still rent one though from Impact Guns and fire it at the their firing range but it's the standard PS90 with the longer barrel. Actually sitting here writing this really does make me want to go rent it again.

On a side note most people are familiar with the P90 thanks to it's long media history as it's been one of the main weapons used by the characters on Stargate and it's heavy usage in video games like Call of Duty Modern Warfare.

Here's a very short demo video of the FN P90:

Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...