Kara no Kyoukai -- The Garden of Sinners


posted by sooyup on , ,

No comments


Oh hey look it's an anime post. It's been a while hasn't it and what better way to get back into posting about anime than with this great anime. I had no idea or clue as to what Kara no Kyoukai was even about before watching it. I just heard a lot of talk about it on 4chan and decided to check it out. I'm glad I did.

Brief Summary: Kara no Kyoukai is an interesting supernatural/detective show that has a pretty interesting back story which you can read here: wiki The show seems to focus on Shiki a knife (for lack of a more technical name) welding supernatural girl herself. She does the dirty work for Tokho the main detective/doll maker who just so happens to be a powerful sorceress that investigates supernatural mysteries while making dolls. Mikiya round out the trio and seems more like a goferboy than anything else but that might just be because of this episode.

In this episode we find the detectives investigating the recent rash of high school girl suicides at a local building. None of the girls have anything in common nor have any of them left suicide notes to explain why they did it. Shiki discovers the ghosts of the girls and investigates the building running up against the ghost responsible for the deaths. A fight breaks out and Skiki has her arm taken control of by the ghost. Shiki is able to escape from the ghost but leaves an arm behind. With a new arm she returns later to do battle once more with the other ghosts and makes short work of them. Meanwhile Tokho pays a visit to the young woman who was controlling the girls/ghosts and who lead them to their deaths. Lots of talking between the two ladies but no action. It ends with the young lady taking her own life much in the same way that the other girls did by wheeling her way to the same building and falling to her own death.

My Opinion: I knew nothing about this movie until I saw people posting about it on 4chan and while I hardly ever watch things just because 4chan says it's good I decided to give it a try anyways. Not knowing anything about the series did lead to some confusion and questions about what exactly was going on. Once I found out more about the series things made more since like why does Shiki only have bottled water in her frig (well that and Strawberry Icecream) or why does her arm turn into a doll's arm after it's cut off. There was actually very little action, I was expecting more from what I was reading and seeing on 4chan. The most gruesome part of the show was the suicide deaths those were some pretty graphic images.

I usually don't like conversation heavy movies but I definitely did like Kara no Kyoukai and not just because I'm a sucker for those dark haired, blue eyed lovely ladies like Shiki either. This had a well laid out and interesting plot and while the characters were not fleshed out as much as I would have liked they were characters that you could care about and wonder how they would solve their case. It would be nice to see this released here in the states as I would definitely be renting this from Netflix, but I'm not going to hold my breath. Some hollywood screwball migh see it and want to make it into a real life move but for the love of God I hope they don't. It's great how it is and I'm definitely looking forward to the rest of the episodes. If it does get licensed here I would highly recommend renting it atleast. I would suggest reading up on it first for the most enjoyment though.

Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...