Demonbane


posted by sooyup on , ,

No comments


Picked up Demonbane after seeing the pv from one of Dannychoo's figure posting. Didn't know much about it other than it looked like an interesting mecha show that could pass the time between releases. I didn't know that it was originally released in late 2006.

Brief Summary: So we start off with poor Mr. Daijuuji who just so happens to be a detective who gets hired by the gov't to find a grimoire so that they can do battle with the evil Black Lodge group. Mr. Daijuuji finds a grimoire in the form of a Loli girl being chased by members of Black Lodge. Her name is Al Azif and she is the grimoire Necronomicon a very powerful magical book. Mr. Daijuuji and Al team up to defeat Blackcross by commendering a mecha by the name of Demonbane. The Black Lodge is made up of other grimoire welding bad guys with their own mechas. They have a plan to eventually take over the world and open a gate so that other evil gods can destroy the entire planet or some such nonsense. Lots of mecha fighting later we end up with an ending where LOVE CONQUIRES ALL much like the Dragonaut ending did but atleast with Demonbane they did a good job of it.

My Opinion: Oh my gosh if you like Elegant Gothic Lolita themes then you'll love this series seriously. Lots of Loli action and just about everyone is in some type of Maid/EGL get up. Even the nun doesn't get to be nunish. This series while not the best is probably one of the more interesting history wise as a lot of the series names and items are taken from both Roman history and classical literary horror writings by H.P. Lovecraft and his followers. Probably one of the few animes that had me digging around the interent for information about things other than the anime. The subbing group did a nice part of adding end notes to the episodes to explain some of the history that was being tossed around the anime. To be honest I learned some things from a meger anime show and became more interested in some history and writings that I was never to interested in before. Hell it made me want to read some H.P. Lovecraft material and that's something I've never thought of reading before. That's pretty good for a show that didn't really have a lot to offer the viewing audience. While there was some fanservice it wasn't much and for a series that started life as an eroge game that's pretty impressive. This is the part where I'd tell you that you should buy it or rent it when it comes to North America but this is a two year old series that has yet to be licensed for North America so I don't see it ever coming to a store near you or me. So I don't know what to tell you. I did like it and I would recommend it as a good time waster.

Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...