Evangelion: 2.22 You Can (Not) Advance


posted by sooyup on , ,

No comments

OK now maybe I have a better understanding of why Anime Otaku are so head over heals in love with the Neon Genesis Evangelion TV show after watching the second of four Eva movies. Evangelion: 2.22 You Can (Not) Advance was pretty bad ass and I did rather enjoy it. However, Shinji is still a bitch though, and still one of my least liked characters of the series followed closely by his father. Seriously.

If you read my review of the first movie you'll have found out that I am not a die hard Nerv fanboy like a good chunk of the Anime watching community is.  and in fact have not watched much of the series and what I did see was on Adult Swim and heavily edited. The second movie for me was entirely new and something I hadn't seen before. Whether or not that made the movie more enjoyable to me rather than someone who had already seen the original TV series is entirely subjective though.

Eva: 2.22 is the fist of the movies that introduces new characters and like the first movie it also adds new scenes and re-does some other scenes as well from the original TV series. Since I never got this far in the series myself I don't know what's new and what's old. Well of course other than the parts that include the new Characters Mari Illustrious Makinami, who's another EVA pilot, and an as of yet named in the movie Kaworu Nagisa who is seen only twice in this movie but has a rather pivotal role at the end of the credits. So yeah this movie was totally new and fresh for me.

Since I'm an impatient person I grabbed one of the first subbed files of the Japanese early release BD while the visuals are freaking stunning and great to look at the Subs kinda sucked and would at times just disappear from site at times. It's also funny to have subs for the parts that are in English. So after I find some better subs when the BD is actually released maybe I'll have to go back and re-watch it again to get it all. I'm sure I probably didn't miss anything very important but I'd just as soon understand it all rather than just some of it. At least until it gets a release in the States.

That first link pretty much takes you to a pretty well done synopsis of the movie it self and I'll just say that I still hate that the Shinji character is such a cry baby quitter who yet again goes into a hissy fit over something his dad does because he can't man up and fight to save one of the other pilots. Only to turn around when another friend is in even more danger and finally drops a set and goes crazy to save his other friend. Yes I know that's how the plot goes and it's all important in the end blah blah blah but really it's just lame story plot.

But I'll take that whiny Shinji if it means I get all the other great stuff as well which is why in my opinion it's a damn good movie but it still doesn't convert me into a NERV fanboy though. Now we get to wait another year or more for the third movie which we got a little bit of a sneak peak at the end of the movie.

Check out the trailer here:


AnimeBlips: vote it up!

Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...