'Drop out of school': Does that advice work in South Africa?


posted by sooyup on

No comments

PayPal founder Peter Thiel has encouraged America's top students to drop out of university and create a company instead. South Africans could benefit from considering entrepreneurship as important as a college degree.
By Osiame Molefe

Like many other black South African parents, my folks were non-negotiable on one thing: that my siblings and I, at the very minimum, go to university and graduate. They worked slavishly, too, to make it happen. I’m sure many other South African parents held and continue to hold the same view, but I highlight black parents specifically because education beyond high school at an institution of their choosing, sometimes even high school itself, was something often unattainable for many of their generation (and others before) due to Apartheid and its two-level education system.
..[continued]

Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...